Discussions took place with the War Department regarding the Paddock site and it was agreed that the Association was not responsible for the fencing. There was a possibility that the site would be put up for sale.
A site called Smokey Hole required repairs to fencing.
The Association entered a team in a horticultural quiz at Farnborough but did not do too well as only one member of the original team turned up for the event and a scratch team took part.
At the 36th AGM, a summer show was proposed but as the last one made a financial loss there was no decision made.
A lease dated 4th August 1953, was presumably a renewal of a previous lease between Aldershot Borough Council and the Aldershot & District Allotment Association, registered office 67 Belle Vue Road, Aldershot, for land shown in the table below relating to Figure11. At a rent of 1 shilling per plot per annum totalling £7 2s paid by four equal quarterly payments on the usual quarter days with the first payment due 30th June 1949. Twelve months prior notice to be given. Items on plan number 8 and 10 were additional rents of 2s and £1.18s respectively.
|Situation||Allotments No of Plan||Area||No. of 10 Rod Plots||Added|
|Cranmore Lane||1||2.14 acres||19|
|Guildford Road||2||0.19 acres||3|
|Allden Avenue||3||0.15 acres||2|
|Gloucester Road||4||0.61 acres||9|
|Herrett Street||5||0.32 acres||5|
|Herrett Street||6||0.30 acres||4|
|Elm Place||7||8.87 acres||100|
|Morland Road||10||38||30th Sept 1953|
|Tichborne Place||8||26th Dec 1956|
Figure 11 – Plans showing all the sites leased from the Council in 1949
Clinker was purchased to be used to repair the worst potholes in the road at all sites.
The access route to the Cranmore Lane site was being restricted with the tenant’s entry rights to expire 24th June 1955. Lease of the site was not renewed.
The Elm Place and Greenwood Close sites appeared to have been deleted from the Town Plan. A meeting took place with a Mr Allan of the Ministry of Agriculture owing to a miss-naming of the site known as Smokey Hole which was no longer allotments and that the future of the Greenwoods Close site was secure, Elm Place site would eventually be lost as allotments.
An offer of £50 was made to the War Department for the Paddocks site but the site was destined for school and residential development eventually.
Compensation of £24 had been offered for the closure of the Cranmore Land site.
Notice to quit the Elm Place site by the 31st December 1956 had been received. The Association asked the Council for an alternative site.
At the 38th AGM, it was proposed that Honorary Members membership fee was raised from 1s to 2s 6d and some non-plot holders were not paying their membership subscriptions.
The Morland Road East site was required for the development of Kiln Copse and a twelve month notice to quit was served on the Association.
On 25th November 1957, a new lease between Aldershot Borough Council and the Aldershot & District Allotment Association, registered office 67 Belle Vue Road, Aldershot, for land on Morland Road measuring 3 acres or thereabouts in area. Lease was for a period of five years and there was an option to renew. Rent £5 by four equal quarterly payments on the usual quarter days with the first payment due 25th March 1958. This is part of the land leased in 1949. See Figure 12
A part of the Morland Road West site was being cleared and a Mr Kelly was given four 10 rod plots and allowed to keep chicken on the remainder of the site.
Concern expressed at the presence of a survey team on the Greenwoods Close site, Mr Hamilton said that it was an Ordnance survey were being carried out.
At the 40th AGM, a proposal to raise the membership fee to 2s 6d and plot rent to 10d per rod was rejected.
Figure 12 – Morland Road East Residue