6oz (175g) brown sugar (dark Moscavado or soft brown)
4oz (125g) margarine
8oz (225g) tin crushed pineapple in pineapple juice (if you can’t find crushed used pineapple rings and chop into small pieces)
12oz (359g) mixed fruit and a few cherries (or any other dried fruit or nuts)
A few drops of almond essence – optional (also works well with Christmas cake spices)
8oz (225G) self-raising flour
2 eggs, beaten
1. Melt the brown sugar and margarine in a large pan.
2. Remove one tablespoon of pineapple juice from the tin and discard.
3. Add the remainder of the tin of pineapple and juice to the pan.
4. Stir in the mixed fruit and cherries, and almond essence if using.
5. Stir in the flour and eggs.
6. Bake in a greased/parchment lined 8in tin for two hours exactly at 150C/300F reduce to 140C for fan ovens.
7. Remove and bring to site. No need to let it cool. It will be fine by the time it gets here.