A new seven year lease for the Paddocks site was received although the question of adequate fencing arose. Vandalism and pilfering from school children was rife and a five strand barbed wire fence with steel posts was erected between the Paddock site and Elm Place. The Paddock site appears to be the same as the small paddock associated with the Grange. See Figure 13
Figure 13 – Paddock site
The lease was dated 26th January 1959 between the Her Majesty’s Principal Secretary of State for the War Department and the Aldershot & District Allotment Association, registered office 67 Belle Vue Road, Aldershot, for land near the Grange measuring 2.248 acres or thereabouts in area. Lease is for a period of seven years and there is an option to renew. Rent £9 by two equal quarterly payments on the usual quarter days with the first payment due 25th March 1958.
At an Extraordinary General Meeting, a proposal to increase the annual subscription be raised to 2s 6d was approved.
The use of hosepipes on the site was banned on the Park Road site.
The Rule book was updated on the 2nd July 1958.
At the AGM, any other business included a complaint that the Council was refusing to deliver sludge on occasions – response was that the Council do not deliver in the winter months. Presumably this was sewage sludge from the Aldershot Sewage Works.
There was also a complaint about bonfires on the roadways and paths. The Greenwood Close site shed was reported to be in a poor state and as a result, two sheds were purchased for the Greenwood Close site and the existing structure was to be demolished. Bricks and mortar were purchased to make a secure base for the sheds.
A Committee dinner proposed, expenses to be paid by attending members, after much discussion a date in February 1960 was agreed.
The Borough Surveyor confirmed that the Allden site (No 3 on Figure 11) was to be used for garages in future. The Association complained that no formal notice had been given to the plot holders.
At the AGM, a resolution to increase the plot rent to 2s 6d per 10 rods was left for discussion by the committee and result to be presented at the next AGM.
The rent of the Morland Road East site had not been changed when the site was reduced in size.
A Mr A.W. Symonds, 68 Church Road requested right of way adjoining the Park Road entrance and would be responsible for the upkeep of the road. Permission was granted.
An Allen Scythe had been purchased.
It was proposed to produce a newsletter for the members to be published annually with notice and agenda of the AGM.
A bulldozer from the adjacent school had broken a fence and driven across the allotments at the Paddock site
The lease on the Paddock site will be terminated on the 12th October.
At the AGM, the secretary reported that only 15 out of 40 plots at the Morland Road East site were occupied and it was decided to close the site on the 30th September 1964.due to reduced use and to the lack of adequate fencing,